Close

Hybrid View

You are the first person to come here and ask about a printer that is really the best you can buy for the money. You have a ton of stuff to lean, don't worry about colors.. get the printer and really lean the prusa slicer software, then pick a CAD program and learn how to model your own thing. If you buy cheap you will have another can of worms to deal with, get the Prusa. I was in the same boat as you in 2016 and waited and saved and I watched what was best, got a printer on the same level as the MK3 in 2018 and have been very happy.. Had no idea what I would use it for.. if you are a hobbyist you will find uses.. if you are a handy man DIY type, you will find uses.. I have not had much need for a larger build volume, the bigger the part the more plastic it takes and the longer it takes to print.. as in days.. and then it is just plastic.. so unless you are making bobbles and vases.. not a lot of use for that.. Right this second I am printing Bias Tape Jigs for making straps for cloth masks... Good luck and you get what you pay for when buying a machine that needs to be accurately repeatable!

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    You are the first person to come here and ask about a printer that is really the best you can buy for the money. You have a ton of stuff to lean, don't worry about colors.. get the printer and really lean the prusa slicer software, then pick a CAD program and learn how to model your own thing. If you buy cheap you will have another can of worms to deal with, get the Prusa. I was in the same boat as you in 2016 and waited and saved and I watched what was best, got a printer on the same level as the MK3 in 2018 and have been very happy.. Had no idea what I would use it for.. if you are a hobbyist you will find uses.. if you are a handy man DIY type, you will find uses.. I have not had much need for a larger build volume, the bigger the part the more plastic it takes and the longer it takes to print.. as in days.. and then it is just plastic.. so unless you are making bobbles and vases.. not a lot of use for that.. Right this second I am printing Bias Tape Jigs for making straps for cloth masks... Good luck and you get what you pay for when buying a machine that needs to be accurately repeatable!
    This is reassuring. I also don't think I will need anything bigger. Could you tell me if different units actually make a noticable difference in detail? Some of the files I've been looking around for fun at are 1/4 scale replica guns. They are decently small and I'm unsure if "Printer A" would do better then "Printer B" with detail. Do you have a suggested program for making my own files? Is it possible to hop on in now without a printer and see play around so I can get the hang of it or is that pointless without a printer to test my files on.

Thank you for your response!