Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the thing is they ALL use low power diode lasers.
    for a few very good reasons.

1) all you can do with a diode is mark things, so spending a lot of money on the laser component does not make sense
    2) there is NO shielding on an all-in-one, so you don't want a laser powerful enough to harm a user via a deflection.
    3) you will be used to the speed of a 3d printer, so when the laser runs at the same speed or slower - you won't be disappointed.
    4) it's purely a gimmick not meant for anything other than light hobby work, so again, why waste money.
    5) NOBODY has 10 watt diode lasers. anything listed over 5 watt is a con. They are actually listing the INPUT power NOT the laser output power. A '15 watt' diode runs at about 2.5watts actual laser output.
    6) high wattage diodes run hot and have bugger all cooling, so would not last long enough to do anything at 3d printer speeds.

All-in-ones look good, but at the end of the day they are gimmicks, well the laser side is anyway.

The spindle/cnc side will do more or less what a cheap dremel style rotary tool will do, but at a much lower rpm - so slower.
    BUT it will engrave metal, stone, wood, glass - anything you can mark with a diamond basically.
    Not sure what kind of precision you'd get and it would be S-L-O-W and you'd need to add a decent suction system.
    But I can see real use for that aspect.

The snapmaker is probably the highest quality budget unit around.
    My views on creality quality control are fairly well known.
    That said I have seen their all in one 'in the flesh' as it were, and it LOOKED (lol) like a solid piece of engineering.
    So who knows :-)
    I was contacted by creality and offered one to try - when i said I could compare it to a 40 watt co2 laser, I think I scared them off and that was the last I heard from them.

My advice. skip diode lasers entirely.
    Get a reasonable 3d printer, add your own spindle and then get yourself a decent K40 co2 laser machine.
    The 18 months and £300 I spent playing with diode lasers, I consider both wasted time and money.
    The k40 on the other hand is an amazing bit of kit: a genuine deathray in a box !
    Tried to cut slate the other day, you can't - because the slots you make fill up with molten slate, in little bubbles - DEATH RAY ! :-)

There have been a few all-in ones over the years, most fell by the wayside but the Z-Morph is still going.
    Despite the fact that most of the individual tools cost more than a lot of 3d printers.
    And even that only comes with a 2.8watt laser.
    But it does have a paste extruder - Ooooohhhhhh, shiny :-)

here's a list:
    https://all3dp.com/1/all-in-one-laser-3d-printer-scanner-cutter-engraver-cnc/

Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-24-2020 at 02:56 PM.