Quote Originally Posted by globules View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about filament runnout unless you are using scraps. A full roll will last you many prints and if for some reason you are doing extraordinarily large prints most slicer software will give you not only the time it will take to print but how many meters of filament the print will use.

Given that you have asked qidi about the modifying the motherboard and/or code, I would gather you have some knowledge with electronics. In this case, if you still need this feature, it would not be very difficult to set up a small limit switch that is activated by the presence of the filament at the entry to the extruder. When the filament runs out the limit switch will change state sounding an alarm or stop the print.

Either way I believe it's a none issue. I've had a QIDI xmax for about 3 months and have yet to use a whole role of filament
What's the best way to manage end of rolls though? Is there an option in the panel to manually advance the last feet or so of filament through the extruder to consume it so it doesn't clog, or is it better to pause the printer and pull on the filament (or reverse the motor it if there's such option)?