Close

Thread: glass ladybugs

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    like i said it's much easier to use 3d printing to make a mould and and mould the bugs.

As a forward thinker and Lightworker - whatever that is :-)
    You need to learn how to use cad modelling software. Thatw ay you can advance things with your own models.

not sure what you mean by 'glass printer'.
    I don't think anyone is making a machine that uses actual liquid glass to print.

I have heard of a couple of experiments using filament and resin 'filled' with glass powder that is printed and then 'washed' and sintered in a very expensive kiln.
    It's the washing and sintering machines that really make it not viable for most people.

An alternative is to use clay and paint your ladybirds (yep english :-)
    Or even just use transparent pla or pet-g to make a glasslike model.

So it's not neccessarily the printing that is the big issue here. A cheap resin printer and glass powder resin (if you can get it - as far as I can see it's just been a small scale experiment so far and not an actual commercial venture). The big issue is the precision kiln needed to sinter the powder into solid glass.
    If it's not the exact tmp the model will either not bind or just melt. So the kilns involved can run into tens of thousands of dollars.

However, if you live somewhere with a lot of sunshine, you could arguably make your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajzOaauYa4
    But precision it's not - but it could be.

Either way you are going to have to acquire a bunch of new skills to get anywhere with this project :-)

There are a number of 'ladybug' models on thingiverse. This is probably the easiest to print.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3628848

Without a picture of what you actually want - I'm just guessing :-)

glass ladybugs

Thank you, curious, for your response. I sure appreciate your advice.I'm not a technical person, I'm more of a right-brain person. I don't want "to learn how to use cad modelling software and advance things with my own models." I want to lay the glass ladybugs in people's hand and look in their eyes and say something uplifting to them. I'd rather let others who are gifted technically do the physical creation of those glass ladybugs. It's not my calling to delve into the science of 3D printing. But I watched on youtube how a 3D printer printed a glass pretzel and I was sure it can print glass ladybugs too. Some years ago, when I found out that the glass ladybugs from China are not available anymore, I used paper mache and made a dozen ladybugs and painted them and gave them away. They looked like made by a third grader, lovely, but no comparison to the elegant glass ladybugs I'm talking about. Glass is just the ideal material for that purpose, in my perception. I liked the video, showing how to make a bowl out of sunlight and sand in the Sahara desert. That was back in 2011. Would be interesting, what they do by now, nearly ten years later. Take care.