Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    That's good news, as Tinkercad has nearly one hundred percent compatibility for 3D printing. I can't think of a single model that caused a problem for me or others in our makerspace. You can also send a private message to me with your shared link if you make your design public, once you've settled on a design or part to be tested.

We've been playing around with codeblocks internal to Tinkercad. It's a great feature if you want to be able to more easily adjust parameters for individual primitives, but as it is in Beta form, there's far too many features not working or nonexistent to make it useful enough for more complex models.

If you're not afraid of a little typing (okay, a lot of typing) and some low-level programming, OpenSCAD is a fun program to learn. Only one other of our makers likes that program, but he's a heavy-duty coder and could be expected to appreciate the package. The other members have this irrational fear of logic, math and related thinking processes.

Hi Fred, will do, i'm working up some designs right now. Glad to hear Tinkercad has a good reputation in your group. At first I thought it too simplistic, but now that I've gotten the hang of how it works, I enjoy using it very much. It's quite capable for a browser-based tool.

I am a coder type, so thanks for the tip about OpenSCAD, I'll keep that in my back pocket if I hit some snag in Tinker.

I'm surprised to hear there are maker types out there that would have fear of logic & math, but hey, to each their own! I'm sure they bring their own original insights a logical type like me would miss