Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I still primarily print from sd card as well. I only want the pi for the awesome time lapses that octoprint can create. I do not believe in printing remotely. But I do believe in regular electronics upgrades. Just because of how that whole industry is obsolete every 2 weeks. A perfect example of this is I bought a SKR 1.3 board, installed it, 2 days later I burned the board and when I went to order a replacement, there is now the skr 1.4 and the skr 1.4 turbo. Electronics and that whole industry stays fluid. If your controller is 3 years old, it is out of date. If it is 2 years old there is better on the market, and if you just bought your controller this year, odds are there is already something better out or already in the pipeline. Which to be honest really adds to the whole pain of spending hundreds of dollars on one component that suffers from this short life expectancy. The cheaper parts are empowering in that they allow us to stay up with the current gen stuff without being rich.

to add my opinion:

the reason that the duets are so expensive is the fact that they are essentially selling software and hardware together. modular is good, but when something starts off using the best, things tend not to break and upgrades don't make much sense.

i do like the SKR boards (despite never setting them up), and IMO they are perfect for "normal" printers, but as soon as toolchangers, water, second x/y axis, thermocouples, etc are introduced the amount of modification to them vs the duet make the duet the clear winner.

in my opinion, the skr and similar boards are the best choice (as everyone else here has said) due to the fact that a fully kitted out controller costs ~$150usd, while the duet costs ~$400+ fully kitted out. the duet is IMO indisputably the best controller one can buy, but for the average printer the extra cost isn't justified.

proving a lot can be done with very little: https://youtu.be/eeYgj3ZIJjA?list=PL...2iULgMxxr&t=45