Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I have a few SKR 1.4 Turbo's.

I have a TronXY mainboard with integrated drivers and touhscreen. Brand new. Never used. Still has wrap on the screen and plugs covering connectors

I have a BTT002 mainboard

I have plans for the BTT002. It is a mainboard specifically made to to be a direct upgrade to 32 bit for Prusa machines. It only has 4 stepper driver sockets but it has a very small form factor and it runs at the same 168mhz as the SKR Pro. So I was thinking about all my spare parts and I was thinking about building 'The Crane'

I have a 300x200 heat bed I was thinking about designing and printing a base to mount it sideways so it is only 200mm deep and 300mm wide. The base will mount the bed solid and mount the electronics under the bed along with 2 linear rails running the 300mm axis on the rear side and under the bed. Then building one arm to connect to the 2 rails and call that X. The arm will have Z on it and raise up the gantry that will move Y fore and aft.

This setup will be bowden only so there is no weight on the carriage and the good news there is I already have that part, too. A brand new TronXY hotend. Fully assembled and never used or even heated up.

BUT, I have promised myself I must finish my TronXY first.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    So basically alarge prusa mini style machine ?

you do know that the only reason delta beds are round is because it's easier and gives the machine a smaller footprint.

But as long as your base is large enough and the arms are long enough (carbonfibre rod is cheap and comes in all thicknesses and lengths) - you can mount ANY shape bed on a delta.
    just saying :-)

Also if the big bee is actually running you can print your own extrusion, bolt rails to it and it'll be as good as aluminium :-)

Hell you could print the base and frame uprights in a single piece if you wanted to.
    Or two parts for extra height and rigidity.
    Now that would be interesting.
    magnetic couplers on the arms and effector (no clue why it's called that) for swap outability :-)

Or youi could build yet another I3 type machine. Come on it MUST be getting a bit boring by now ?

Quick diagram shows that a delta frame built for a 375mm circular base would print happily on a 200x300 rectangle.

And a base that size would easily fit on the big bee's bed :-)

A 2 part frame could give you around 700mm build height if you maxed it out.

A suspended extruder would work with existing kit.
    Or one of the new all-in-one lightweight extruding hotends would be my choice. slice engineering do some nice all-in-ones in your price range.
    Or https://www.amazon.com/Extruder-Extr...3377284&sr=8-9
    Not that cheap, but if the frame is only costing about $50 in filament and three rails - it's in my budget :-)

Anyway, it's an idea :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-05-2021 at 10:39 AM.