Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Of course for my machine running 2 steppers per axis having the tensioner spring in between the two steppers opposite the side the heatbed or extruder are on just sets a preload before the stepper motors are energized. And then there is no elasticity as I am pushing on one end while pulling on the other and vice versa. Really I can't believe more people haven't started running 2 steppers per axis. But I am proud to be one of the few.

Technologist
    Didn't see many people supporting spring tensioners, the majority explained what issues they can cause. The only reasons I saw people explain they should be used was it was better than a slack belt, but you shouldn't be slack in the first place. Or that it was an easy way to do things, which I don't think is a good enough reason especially if you want to spend extra money on profiled rails. The final thread did have someone arguing for spring tensioners, but he specifically mentioned they should be used with a damper, which the clothes peg springs are not.

Finally, that's not how elasticity works. The belts and springs are elastic and can stretch no matter how many motors you put on them. You know what? Fine, I'm an idiot, you must be a professional mechanical and mechatronics engineer, doing things no professional machine would, like using two motors on one closed loop of belt. Let us not forget your breakthrough in belt technology: the belt you can push on!
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Of course for my machine running 2 steppers per axis having the tensioner spring in between the two steppers opposite the side the heatbed or extruder are on just sets a preload before the stepper motors are energized. And then there is no elasticity as I am pushing on one end while pulling on the other and vice versa. Really I can't believe more people haven't started running 2 steppers per axis. But I am proud to be one of the few.
    Best of luck Reefsider, I hope your build goes well. I'm going to leave this conversation, it's not productive and I'm sure it's not helpful for your build, apologies for derailing your thread.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakyan View Post
    Finally, that's not how elasticity works. The belts and springs are elastic and can stretch no matter how many motors you put on them. You know what? Fine, I'm an idiot, you must be a professional mechanical and mechatronics engineer, doing things no professional machine would, like using two motors on one closed loop of belt. Let us not forget your breakthrough in belt technology: the belt you can push on!
    I know it is hard to see the big picture when all you got is a small screen so to better explain my loose definition of function, on most printers when the bed or extruder goes in one direction the belt is pulled on the short side. that is there is a very short distance between the motor and what it is pulling, but when we move in the other direction we are now pulling against the tensioner spring, the idler, and a whole lot of length of belt. With a stepper motor at each end we are always pulling from the shorter side of the belt and with no idler or spring or anything in between. My reference to push and pull is to point out that the steppers are both moving in both directions so there is always 2x more torque applied. Now go see if you can make your honda run on PLA.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-28-2019 at 10:28 AM.