Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
honestly the linear rails will make absolutely no difference whatsoever on a delta. A 4 wheel carriage, properly fitted, will run smoother and faster with less potential vibration. As far as belts go - get decent ones but also use a tension based belt tensioner. They look like the middle of a cloths peg. Bascially they keep the belts at exactly the same tension, no matter what. One of the first things I did to my delta was add 2 to each belt. It also means you don't need complicated belt tensioning apparatus. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HALJIA-Timi...gateway&sr=8-5One thing you probably haven't considered is a kit from this chap. They'd used one on the duet3d stand at tct this week. http://www.zatsit.fr/english-summary.htmlDunno if you can buy them yet or not, the guy who builds the duet machines is a certified mechanical genius. So he probably got some ahead of the launch. But worth considering. On checking the kickstarter. It's a full delta kit and hasn't started shipping the kickstarter items yet. So worth a look, but it woupd need to be a diy setup. Magnets and carbonfibre rods probably a better bet.Unless i missed something and you're using the linears for the arms - I can see that working, lol ***Oh yeah (puts his mod hat on), autowiz and trakyan - play nice, there's a couple of good lads :-)
If I can get you to take that mod hat off and talk to me from a perspective of design I would like to kindly and carefully argue your claim that a delta wouldn't benefit from linear rails over rods. Especially being the title of this thread is Large Format. as the print head moves about there is very much lateral torque applied to the rods even though the bearings only slide up or down. That is just how inertia works. And large format means long rods. That will very much flex in the middle under this sideways load from the print head skating about. Linear rails (one more time) get bolted to the frame every inch or so so there can be no deflection at any point in travel no matter how long the rail gets. The rod flexes more the bigger the print volume gets because there is no way to support the rod anywhere but at the very ends.