Close

Student

Question FlashForge New Creator Pro ont the way - Novice

Well, finally ordered the FlashForge New Creator Pro as my first ever 3D printer. I've never even seen a 3D printer in person. I have some "long ago" experience with CAD but, zero with 3D printing. I didn't want to get too inexpensive a printer and have to overcome machine problems as well as novice problems. Question: Is there anything you might suggest as far as preparation for the printer. I'll only be using PLA for foreseeable future. I have some large air-tight ammo cases for PLA storage. Not likely that I will be printing every day. Anything on workspace are would be helpful.Thank you,Regis
    Last edited by RegisG; 08-29-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    good machine. But you should probably have asked first as we wuld have recommended the qidi x pro instead. Essentially the same machine, but with wifi, removeable bed and touchscreen - and a little cheaper.
    Things you will probably need:

Sanding blocks
    set of mini files, diamond or metal, both work well.
    Don't know what print surface they currently use but some cheap gluesticks wouldn't hurt either.
    Digital calipers - essential !
    Join the flashforge creator pro facebook group :-)

Have a look at openscad for making models.

Student
    I really didn't want to ask what to buy because I would get recommendations on everything. But, it would have been good idea to ask about the one I planned on ordering.

It's done now and I thank you for the tips you've given me.

Thank you,
    Regis

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    good machine. But you should probably have asked first as we wuld have recommended the qidi x pro instead. Essentially the same machine, but with wifi, removeable bed and touchscreen - and a little cheaper.

Sanding blocks
    Don't know what print surface they currently use but some cheap gluesticks wouldn't hurt either.

I have a policy that if people ask about specific machines I try to limit replies to that.
    Otherwise I'd be all day on every damn post :-)

I mean the one you've ordered is a serious machine, it's just that you could have got more at the same quality for around the same money.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Sanding blocks

Pretty much same situation - except I tried my first print today.
    Wanted to ask what are calipers for - to check the accuracy of prints? And I hope digital calipers don't have some special synergy with the Creator Pro, since I'm too used to my mechanical ones)
    Also, right now they are using aluminium surface with a rough surface sticker glued on.

lol, digital calipers are for measuring things you want to make something to: replace, fit or duplicate.
    When you start thinking in 10'ths and 100th's of millimetres - mechanical calipers just aren't accurate enough :-)

I'm not going to get into the mechanical caliper argument here)
    But thanks for clarifying. Also, are you implying that 100th's of millimeter is achieveable accuracy for this printer?