Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    number of options, basically most things are better than bog-standard abs.

It does depend how much you are prepared to pay for your filament.

Also - have you tried magigoo on your print bed ?
    Easily the best and longest lasting 3rd party printing adhesive I know of.

Filament wise, one of the best things on the market is ninjatek's Armadillo. It's a rigid polyurethane, stronger, lighter, more durable and better temperature stats than abs - and really easy to print. Well I used some, mistaking it for pla - and it printed perfectly.

Pla plus is also an option as well as hi-temp pla.
    Another option is a different abs.
    Many companys now produce abs plus, the main benefit is claimed low to zero warping.
    it still stinks and won't print particularly fast, but it's the built in shrinkage of normal abs that causes all the hassle.

Innofil do a thing called: abs fusion.
    They were giving 200 gram rolls away at tct a couple years ago - between us I think my mate and I collected 5 rolls :-).
    I did try it, and it still stinks - but otherwise printed really well. But as it still stinks - I'm not going to use it anytime in the forseeable future.
    https://www.innofil3d.com/playtime-is-over/

I'll happily post you a 200gm roll to test - you'll pay postage, but obviously the filament is free :-)
    Sent things all round the world, but never sent anything to belize :-)

The belt machines are extremely good. And due to the weird angle they print at you get much better strength along both the horizontal and vertical axis, as well as really long bridging - you can even print straight out horizontally without supports !
    The small black belt would probably be perfect for you.
    Not cheap, but a lot of that is down to the material they make the belt out of. I had quite a long chat with the black belt guys at the tct show, in birmingham last year. The belts are made from a mixture of woven carbon fibre and some other things they wouldn't divulge - it is patent pending after all.
    Very friendly and helpful people - well they're dutch, what do you expect :-)

OR - and it's a pretty significant 'OR'
    you could make your own :-) https://hackaday.io/project/114738-a...ite-3d-printer
    Now that's interesting, he's using kapton tape to coat the belt. I'd be inclined to coat the kapton with magigoo anyway. Never had much luck with kapton.

Given that you can make one for - probably - a few hundred dollars, certainly well under a thousand - versus $11,000 to buy one.
    Sounds like you should have all the tools necessary in your factory, as well as engineers to make the parts.
    Got to be worth a try, right :-)

Make a belt machine, use abs fusion - job's a good one !
    The materials section of the 3d printing market has pretty much outstripped everything else in terms of new materials and properties - but most people still use bog standard pla, abs and pet-g. And they are cheap in comparisoon to some of the newer materials. But if it's a commercial application, definitely worth investing in better materials.
    I do like to try as many different materials as possible.
    I'm going to have another go with that fusion, just for the hell of it. hot today so all doors and window in my workshop are open :-)

Oh yeah - you both keep typing temperatures in fahrenheit - when you actually mean centigrade.
    Small thing but really annoying to those of us sensible enough to not use a temperature scale, based on the temperature of a man's wife's armpit (look it up :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-24-2019 at 06:33 AM.