Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Petercat, your observation is a good one. With a non-orthogonal move, the width of the layer would be something other than the dimension of the square's width. That's the best reason yet for a cylindrical nozzle opening. A circle is going to have the same diameter in all directions and the layer will be the same width.

Imagine the assembly instructions for a hot end with a square opening! "Examine the nozzle with a microscope, ensuring that the edge is parallel to the heater block. When placing the heater block, ensure that the edge is parallel to the bed." Yikes.

Student
    Follow Petercat On Twitter Add Petercat on Facebook Add Petercat on Google+
    Thank you. Makes me feel good about my first post, especially since I've never 3D printed anything! (Waiting on a Photon S to be delivered now.)
    I suppose you could index the nozzle and add another stepper motor to rotate the extruder assembly. Should be a simple mod, right?
    Right?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petercat View Post
    Thank you. Makes me feel good about my first post, especially since I've never 3D printed anything! (Waiting on a Photon S to be delivered now.)
    I suppose you could index the nozzle and add another stepper motor to rotate the extruder assembly. Should be a simple mod, right?
    Right?
    Thinking logically - no experience required :-)

So you're jumping right in with resin eh ?

don't forget the gloves, active ventilation, alcohol washing stations and some kind of stain proof table covering.

Student
    Follow Petercat On Twitter Add Petercat on Facebook Add Petercat on Google+
    Yes, it seemed best for my needs. I want to build small items with high detail, like Z-scale buildings, cars, people and stuff.
    If I have a good experience with it and Anycube's customer service, I'll probably go for the 4Max Pro next.
    Also looking into photogrammetry.
    This forum is going to get sick of me asking questions, since I've never done any of this before.