Close

Hybrid View

Why are you so against Ender 3's? Honestly for the price point they are probably the best 3d printer to get someone into 3d printing. Sub $200 USD is hard to beat for the quality of print you can get from them. Sure they requiring fine tuning, assembly, testing - but most printers do.

Back to OP - I do agree that an enclosure should be used for ABS (need to keep the bed temps up, and that's hard to do even in a small room with no fans) although you can literally build an enclosure out of MDF wood if you have the tools/space to try. The hardest part is making sure the sensitive electronics (power supply and control boards) are NOT in the enclosed space - we want to keep those things cooled after all.
    this will usually require rewiring of some parts (extensions) as well as a bulky take-down of the printer (to re-wire to a safer route) and once it's done, your not going to ever want to revert it. (all the hassle of rewiring again, re routing the wires, etc)

It also depends on your application for the 'need' for ABS/HIPS - many parts, prints and otherwise can be printed using other methods and plastics to give similar results to ABS, and yes some need to go even higher than ABS temps - but some don't. It really depends on what your using the printed object for.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Hello;

I have printed with a Prusa i3 Clone Hictop 3DP11/12 for some years now and have had no problems printing ABS.

It is much easier to print ABS when using an enclosure. I basically made a simple enclosure using a single sheet of particle board and Clear plastic sheets.

The Twins 2.jpg

Taking a sheet of particle board and cutting it into 5 pieces and fitting them together into a box with one open side where the Clear Plastic door attach.
    Now this is not a great piece of work as it slipped when being glued together a little out of square, oh well!

I still have little problems with ABS when printing real thin pieces as they are too fragile and break easily while the same print in PLA works?
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 07-20-2019 at 05:45 PM.