to a certain extent it boils down to what you want to make.
Sure a large build volume can be useful.

But I've managed for 6 years with the largest printer I have a 200mm delta. which gives you a maximum cube of 150mm.

That said the largest thing I've made is a full size horned viking helmet - which i made in 4 pieces.
But on the whole pretty much everything I've mde has fitted on my replicator pro's.

My newest machine - the ctc (cheapest printer you can get in the uk) will do 190x190x180. And after some basic modifications that's a cracking little machine.
But you do need to make the mods before using, so no good for a first machine.

what you need to look for in an I3 design are 3 things.

1) a direct drive extruder - NOT a bowden fed one.
2) Side support rails for the print bed - NOT a single central rail.
3) dual z-screw stepper motors. The larger the x axis, the more important this is.

Now, surprisingly my dirt cheap (many parts are just fixed together with cable ties) has all three. The main reason i decided to give it a try.
The ender 3 has NONE of them.

Pretty much everything else can be modded and improved fairly easily - but those three should be present on a good I3.

So that said - it boils down to budget.

I own a fair selection of machines from around $1000 (klic-n-print, when i got it) value on down to the ctc at 89 pounds, via the $200 he3d delta k200, and the monoprice mini delta at $149.
My first printer was a flashforge creator - 500 pounds or so about 6 years ago. It did take me a while and the eventual installation of a sheet of printbite before it really came into it's own. But it was a solid workhorse with a few thousand hours on it before it finally ground to a halt. I think it needs a new stepper driver, but as I have limited deskspace and 4 other machines all currently in workig order, it's presently on a shelf awaiting my inclination to fix it.

So what sort of build volume are you after and what's your max budget ?