Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
yeah, we get this a lot.

Unless you have a local print bureau who also do a scanning service - then scanning is NOT the way to go.

It's actually much quicker and easier to measure the existing part - digital calipers are your best friend - and design the new one from scratch.
I use openscad, which is excellent for this kind of thing.

If you want any kind of accuracy and something that can detect voids then you're not goign to get any change from $3000 for a desktop scanner.

The best current alternative is an app that works with the new iphones - and this is absolutely the ONLY circumstance where I will recommend anyone ever buy any apple product EVER !

thank you for this information. i dont really know if i have anything around me that would be able to do the scanning for me. i have been doing some reading and found that you have do phototometery (totally hacked the spelling) but not sure if that is going to give me what i am looking for.

i think that doing this from scratch is going to work out best. looks like digital calipers is the first tool that i will need to pick up.

oh and even for this i would never buy an apple product. i would rather just give up! lol

thanks again for your help