Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Okay - first, I take it you haven't done much research in to bats ?
    The reason they usually rest in caves, roof spaces, tree holes etc is that those are shaded places that retain heat in winter and stay cool in summer.
    A solid chunk of plastic in the open arizona sun - will not attract any bats.

Secondly, most bats are very very small - their bodies are smaller than most mice. They tend to go for very small spaces and can crawl through cracks smaller than you would believe.

Your house would be better, both smaller and made to attach to buildings below the eaves, or on tree trunks in shaded areas. Places nearer where they would naturally roost.

A big cylinder on a pole in the open in arizona (of all places :-) will not attract bats, as it's clear it will be too hot during the day.

So that's my first suggestion, do some research on bats, then redesign the box to suit the bats.

You don't need the pole.

Secondly - why on earth does it weigh -2-3 kg ? That's a lot of money in filament. To get it that heavy it must have a lot of solid shells and really dense infill.
    Thinner shells and a lower density infill mesh will not only make it cheaper and lighter (able to be mounted more places) but the larger mesh will increase the insulation properties of the box.

Bats like small tight spaces that daytime predators can't easily access.

Thirdly (lol) bats crap during the day, so the box should be fitted with a way making it easy to clear it out. a hinged trap door type base would be favourite.

Different bats will like different box types - so make small ones for small bats and larger ones for larger bats - though there are a lot less of those generally.

Pipistrelles are the most common bats in the uk - and a cigarette box sized house with a 5mm entranceway could easily house a half dozen bats.

Also a small, building mounted box, could have a micro camera built in, so the kids could see whether or not it was occupied.

I applaud your project - but you probably need to start with the bats and then design a house. Than work on the principle: 'If I Build It - They Will Come' :-)

Oh yeah, like most small mammals bats have claws and can climb what looks like smooth walls to people. Print the b at houses at a fairly large layer height and fast and the natural grooves will be sufficient for most bats to easily hang on to.
    The majority of bats don't sleep hanging upside down from the ceiling.

Something like this:

with a trapdoor base would be quick ad simple print and easily attached to buildings, trees and shaded areas.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.