Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    It's common in high-strength DIY applications to create the model you wish via 3D printing, disregarding the strength requirement. This model is then post-processed to remove layer lines (if so desired) and support material surface irregularities. The next step is to create a silicone mold from the positive model.

That mold can be used to cast higher strength resin which can be used repeatedly for multiple parts.

Silicone mold material is available with various characteristics. Some are high temperature, some will cast out in different hardness levels and durability is another factor of importance for semi-production use.

Costs are difficult to determine from your message or from my reply, but less difficult once you've printed your model and know the volume it occupies, as that will be the volume of casting resin required for each part. The cost of the silicone mold material will be a factor, of course, but will be spread over the quantity of parts created from a single (or multiple) mold(s).

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    It's common in high-strength DIY applications to create the model you wish via 3D printing, disregarding the strength requirement. This model is then post-processed to remove layer lines (if so desired) and support material surface irregularities. The next step is to create a silicone mold from the positive model.

Thanks for your reply. What would be the purpose of doing the prototype via 3D printing in this case, if the final product will be done by other means (i.e. using a silicone mold)? Couldn't I just use the original plastic of the bike to create the mold?

I was mainly curious to see if only 3D printing could be used to make the actual final product, without the need for creating a mold. Interesting about the silicone molds though, I will do some more research on this.