Close

BAAM 3D Printer 200 Times Faster... Already

Earlier this year we got word that The Government's Oak Ridge Laboratory and Cincinnati Inc were teaming up to create a 3D printer capable of printing at speeds 200 times faster, and objects 10 times as large as traditional FDM printers. 3DPrint.com recently talked to Rick Neff from Cincinnati Inc, (article here: http://3dprint.com/6512/baam-3d-printer/ )and discovered some remarkable details on this new printer. In fact the printer already exists and can print a chair within 2 and a half hours. Check out picture of the BAAM printer from Cincinnati Inc.

Staff Engineer
    The story says it has a 0.3mm nozzle... You sure you didn't mean to say a 0.3 inch nozzle? in the photo of the prints it looks like the lines are over 5mm thick on the table.

Bigger X-Y-Z gantries with bigger FFF nozzles on them don't exactly impress me all that much. Of course the technology is scalable when money is no object. This is less a show of innovation and more a show of budget.

Thanks, corrected. It is 0.3 inches. Sorry!

This brings customization for larger objects, I like it. Even speedy prototyping, or pieces that fibreglass can be laid over. I'm spitballing. The speed is eye opening. This has wide ranging applications.

Staff Engineer
    Also, any indications what the plans are for this? Just a demo of their building ability or are they going to make these to sell to other companies?

I'll gladly get excited about this if there was one in my local IKEA that I could upload files to and buy prints from.

Engineer-in-Training
    Sounds like they might be offering these for sale later this year, not even a ballpark on pricing, but I would say $100k at the minimum, 250k easily.

This might be productive enough to make 3D printing products practical.

I'm curious how they control warp.

Update:
    Last June, we learned about BAAM -- the Big Area Additive Manufacturing Machine, from Cincinnati Inc. and Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), a huge FFF 3D printer, with a massive 6 x 12 x 3 foot build envelope. 3DPrint.com has learned since that ORNL and Cincinnati Inc. have been working to create an even bigger, faster 3D printer. 'Bertha,' the latest creation, can print 10 times faster than the BAAM machine -- up to 100 pounds of ABS per hour -- with a 20 x 8 x 6 foot build volume. They plan to turn their attention next to working with metal printing, and the companies are now hammering out terms on a 10-year collaboration agreement. Find out more details on their big plans in the full story: http://3dprint.com/51109/baam-3d-printer-2/

Below is a look at Bertha:

Oak Ridge National Laboratory has announced a formal non-exclusive licensing agreement with Ohio 3D printer technology company Strangpresse for a selection of ORNL patents related to large-scale additive manufacturing. Under the agreement, Strangpresse is authorized to develop products using the ORNL patented technology to develop 3D printing technology to manufacture parts and objects larger than current standards. This is the first new partnership utilizing ORNL’s large-scale related 3D printing technology since the lab debuted their 3D printed replica of a Shelby Cobra in January. You can read more about the agreement over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/102506/ornl-strangpresse-agreement/