Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Yeah, it does look like programming, but it's far easier than it looks. Using a 3D scanner means a good bit more work. I've had experience with three different versions of 3D scanners and the ones that might give you the parameters you need for a duplicate part are complex and in some cases, very finicky or very touchy in getting good results.

If you're not comfortable with a text based model creator, you may want to investigate your options with a GUI type of program. For something resembling parametric modeling, OnShape (free for hobbyists) is an easy learn. More challenging and of course, more capable would be Fusion 360 (free for hobbyists). I've had reasonable experience with both and OnShape is by far easier to learn for your objective.

Less useful for your model is a free, web-based GUI CAD program called TinkerCad. If you are careful to monitor the dimensions of the parts placement, you may get away with creating your somewhat-simple model in TinkerCad.

Stay away from SketchUp, as it is known to create non-printable models. There are work-arounds, plug-ins and perhaps some built-in 3D model utilities for SketchUp, but why go in that direction when the above programs are superior for your purpose.

Thank you for that wonderful advice Fred

Just curious, asides from a pulley with the right skill set and software can metal parts that make up a older audio cassette deck be replicated too?

Look above Fred I also put a link to the 3d printer i bought, is it recommended?