Close

3D Systems Reveals Assembly Line-Like 3D Printer Technology

If anyone as questioned the likelihood of 3D printing eventually taking over many mass manufacturing facilities, this video story may change their minds: http://3dprint.com/6293/3d-printing-assembly-line/

3D Systems has revealed a new 3D printer they have been working on which works unlike any other on the market. It can print 50 times faster than some of the fastest printers on the market today, and works in a unique manner. The print heads are stationary, as a series of print beds move along a racetrack-like setup, under several printer heads. The printer itself is able to print 2 liters of liquid plastic every 3 minutes, which equates to a staggering 4 billion droplets of liquid every minute using jetting technology. This is the device that 3D Systems will be using to produce, possibly millions or billions of Google Project Ara smartphone modules.

Here is a sneak peak at the printer:

Staff Engineer
    Yes! This is the kind of innovation I was hoping they would have for Project Ara. I was hoping their big speed breakthrough wasn't just a large bed with small parts. I could think of ways to possibly do this cheaper, but they would likely be less accurate.

This is actually quite exciting.

Here's another video. Gotta say this thing seems very impressive. We are getting very close to being able to print object incredibly fast. Can't wait to see what technologies develop over the next 3-4 years