Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Good news is that I have Cura running and can print with it. The latest version is not causing me issues like the release before it. It's nice to have the Pronterface control interface but it's missing some of the best features of Pronterface like "motors off" and "custom buttons."
    Just for the case you would like to have enhanced funktionalities in CURA: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.p...terface/page-2
    This is almost all you have in Pronterface and you can tweak it yourselves.
    Last edited by Roxy; 06-21-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Fixed botched Quote

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ciutateivissa View Post
    Just for the case you would like to have enhanced funktionalities in CURA: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.p...terface/page-2
    This is almost all you have in Pronterface and you can tweak it yourselves.
    Nice 'ciutateivissa' , very nice. That's what I needed. I do like Cura, don't get me wrong. It was just previously devoid of all of the creature features I liked in Pronterface. I did search for plugins and mods/upgrades for Cura and could not locate any. This is what I could not find on my own. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I think it would still be helpful to get it installed and working on a different machine.
    SOLVED: Good news. I've solved it. It was staring me in the face the whole time and I got so distracted by looking under the hood and tearing the motor apart that I just kept missing it. Within Pronterface under 'Settings/Options/External commands' I kept seeing the 'Slice Command' and 'Slicer options command' as just executable parameters and not a path. I misread this because the line read "Slic3r_1.0.1/slic3r.exe $s --output $o". I did not have any folder on my machine named "Slic3r_1.0.1" so I just assumed it was a parameter for the 'printrunconf.ini' and not a path. The forward slash should have given it away but not being well versed in python, I thought that it might just be 'python' syntax. So, I ignored it.

Then in desperation, I just started tweaking everything I could. I changed the line to read "Slic3r/slic3r.exe $s --output $o" instead of "Slic3r_1.0.1/slic3r.exe $s --output $o". Because, I do have a folder named "Slic3r". That didn't work so I opened the 'External commands' again and saw that the change did not hold and had reverted back. So I changed my 'Slic3r folder (in my installation directory) to be 'Slic3r_1.0.1'. I was hoping that no other component needed to see it named 'Slic3r' but what the heck. Well, it worked and it worked perfectly.

Now I had to figure out why it was not holding my changes. So, I found 'printrunconf.ini' under C:/Users/Rob. I changed that to 'printrunconf.ini.old' and relaunched Pronterface. It created a new .ini and when I went to 'External commands' the correct folder name was there, "Slic3r". Now I went back to my install directory and changed the folder 'Slic3r_1.0.1' back to 'Slic3r' , closed Pronterface and relaunched. It held. Now all I had to do was to configure my custom buttons again. I've included screen shots of them and the 'External commands' page for reference.

I searched for hours on the web to find a solution for this. I guess it's so obvious that on one felt like writing about it. Should anyone else have a myopic attack and miss the obvious like I did, I hope this post helps you. It took 1.5 days out of my life. Now I'm going sailing....no more 3d printing for me this weekend.

pronterfacesettings.jpg
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I'm glad you got it figured out. But if Slicer was in the wrong location, why did it slice and how did Slicer decide to use 44 meters of filament to make that piece?