Close

Thread: Fishing lures

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the way I look at designing in openscad is i break everything down into basic shapes.
    cubes, spheres, cylinders.
    Each can be resized, rotated, added and subtracted from the others. Cylinders can also be tapered with different start and end diameters to make any kind of 'cone'.
    You can also state the number of facets a cylinder or sphere has to form shapes with different numbers of sides: polygons ! (lol)

so for a lure you might have an elongated sphere for the 'head' with a slanted slot for the bit that makes it dive (created by subtracting a rotated thin cylinder or cube - or just adding a rotated cylinder) then a body made of tapered cylinders or reshaped spheres. You can add fins or slots for flexible fins by removing bits.
    You then either have the body as a single module, or combine them with the 'union' command. And remove a long cylinder from the middle.

pretty simple really :-)

here's a selection of lures you can download and resize in your slicer for a quick way to start, it seems a fairly popular use for 3d printing :
    https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=fishing+lure
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-28-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks again Curious Aardvark. I looked quickly at openscad and I got the impression that the majority of designing was done through coding where others like Tinkercad and MatterControl is a drag & drop type of program. As I said, it was just a very quick look at it and I may well be wrong on that. I will take a better look at it again. Just the same, the method that you suggested can be applied to any cad program.

I got notification yesterday that my 3D printed has shipped so I hope to get it soon in spite of the Christmas rush. Meanwhile I have to learn how to use one modelling program or another. Tinkercad looked fairly easy to learn but the problem with Tinkercad is that it does not produce Gcode. I guess I could produce an STL file, then load it into Cura and then generate the Gcode but that is adding an extra step. MatterControl will produce Gcode although it looks like it may have a bit of a higher learning curve. Someone suggested that I use Simplify3D and while it looks like a good program, it costs $149.00 USD which is $199.05 Canadian. I don't mind laying out the funds for a decent program but I feel that I should learn how to use these things first before laying out the funds.

I will try to look at those lures from Thiniverse but at some point i hope to design my own style lures.

Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated.