This issue is so polarizing like so many others. I'm taking a risk by stating my personal view here (and don't hate me Americans who love the right to "bear arms") but we really don't need any guns at all. I know that hunters need to cull herds but besides that, guns are a problem. Now having said that, the cat it out of the bag. There are billions of guns circulating in the world and adding millions of 3d printed guns is not going to make matters much worse. It's like heroin use, it you need heroin, you'll get some. If you want a gun to shoot someone, you can easily get one. Whether you network in a shady neighborhood or sit at home and print your own, if you want a gun to do evil with, you'll get one.

The problem is people. Until we figure out why everyone wants to go around shooting each other (now I'm getting off topic, but, hey, it is all related) then no legislation will solve anything. It's sort of like poverty. People say that poverty breeds criminals. Down and out people have no resources so they have to mug, steal and shoot their way along to survive. Many people don't like welfare, handouts and entitlement. "You need to work hard for your money, not be lazy and contribute," many will say. But, what, just what if, we, with the help of the billionaires of country (let's keep it simpler and talk just about the USA for now) gave everyone enough money so that they were not destitute? Would crime go down because people didn't have to steal to survive? I don't know, I'm not a sociologist but the question is valid. Unfortunately, it's something that will never happen so we'll never know.

Who knows why people need so many guns but I don't think legislation to outlaw 3d printed guns will ease the number of crimes committed with guns. It will just make for fewer crimes with them and that same crime will most likely be committed with a metal one. People get carried away but legislating everything possible. But until we fix people, we can't fix crime.