Close

Threaded View

Technician
    Thank you for the kind words Rylan!

The one problem with the surface waves formed in the resin when the resin is sandwiched in between fresh and saltwater is that it dissipates slower than when between salt water and air (although not way longer). However putting a sheet of plastic (or whatever material) in between the object that displaces water and the rest of the container prevents the surface waves (I think because of the total internal reflection effect I discussed). So yeah it isn't a problem.

Thanks for the update on the aim for the power requirements. I agree that making it work at first is most important. I think that this solenoid can be really low power though. If the fresh water had some salt in it to bring it closer to the resin density, but still a little below, then the apparent mass of the object that displaces liquid would be almost zero. That way the solenoid would need to exert very little force, perhaps well less than one newton. Adding a bit of salt to the fresh water (if using the 3 liquid method) would also be a good idea since the object being printed will have less force on it too.

Also if the power requirements for the solenoid are too high a battery or capacitor could store some energy temporarily since the solenoid is only active a small fraction of the time.

I have since read through the forum and there are a lot of great ideas! Unfortunately though I have not yet gone through the Peachy code. Thanks for the link. I will start doing this soon. I like the user interface, it's hard to beat the simplicity of a check box!
    Last edited by jstrack2; 08-17-2014 at 08:58 PM.