actually more important than designing software is a good slicer.
I would recommend simplify3d. Not sure of they have an educational discount - most companies do - but it will make getting anything out of the printers sooooo much easier than trying to use slic3r, or modern cura (old cura easy to use) or any of the other alternatives out there.

Does Simplify3D offer an education discount for teachers or administrators?Yes, we currently offer several different educational discount programs for faculty or organizations that are teaching 3D printing to others. Please review our Education page for more details. Once you are ready to place your order, please select the "Education programs" option on our Contact Form and include details about how you will be using the software in your organization, and how many licenses you would need to purchase. Please contact us prior to placing your order, as this discount cannot be applied after the purchase has been submitted.
that answers that question :-)
Also the makerbot uses x3g files NOT gcode. And simplify3d makes that a non-issue. You just pick x3g from a menu and carry on as normal.

The makerbot should use a standard 3 pin kettle power lead. Assuming my flashforge replica is accurate :-)

I would also return the machine to factory specs and go through the 'introduction' process. where the printer talks you through setting itself up.
I loved that bit :-)

Damn shame you're in the states. I'd love to come and play.