Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse

Frame and X-axis

FRAME, X-AXIS SUBASSEMBLY, and X-AXIS INSTALLATION
    Here I deviate from the sequence of the build guide a bit, deferring the Y Axis subassembly until after the X Axis installation. Since I glued the top plate of the frame on prior to painting, my installation of the vertical rails on the frame has to wait until the completed X axis assembly is ready to install onto the printer.

Be sure to start the X axis installation with the eccentric spacers on the X motor and X idler subassemblies set to provide maximum spacing between wheel rows (i.e., the "loose" orientation). In the build videos, the X axis assembly is slid onto the open top ends of the rails. In my case, I slipped the rails up through the bottom of the Z motor mounts, engaging the T-nuts and wheels in the completed X axis in the process. An advantage of this approach is that the vertical rails can then be pulled flush up to the top frame plate with the bolts used on the extrusion ends.

As with the Y motor, M3 flat washers were added to the M3x12mm bolts used on the X motor mount. M3 x 6mm set screws used on the motor gear instead of the shorter ones included in the kit. Thinking forward to how I plan to do cable and wire routing, I mounted the X motor so that the wires leave the motor on the bottom.

(see the next post for picture)
    Last edited by printbus; 08-10-2014 at 11:29 PM.