Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
I did see your revision to Greg Wade’s Extruder and thank you for the comments. Has there been a noticeable increase in print quality with the BMG? With the lighter weight I would assume there would be less lash/play but maybe it only comes into play at higher speeds.
I don't think it would be fair for me to try to address that, based on the limited printing that I've done. I also know that the filament I have now prints crappier than the filament I used to have, so there's that significant factor as well.

As you suggest, I think the BMG approach has a lot of potential over the Greg's Wade. No gear backlash. Better grip on the filament - perhaps especially beneficial in precise retraction & recovery control. Yes, the lighter extruder, especially along with the smaller/lighter stepper motor I used should lead to a lighter carriage that is quicker to accelerate/decelerate. I remember running some mechanical tests to determine what settings I'd use, but I don't recall how the settings compare to what I used to run.

Improving cooling airflow was a driver in the carriage redesign and migration to the BMG. I'm pretty sure the new approach provides better print cooling airflow, so that has potential for improved print results if the cooling is applied properly.