Close

Threaded View

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by marthalroy View Post
    I have is an art teacher who had a 3d printer in class. I'm interested in getting a 3d printer to expand the range of DIY projects I'm able to do but I'm curious if it's a good hobby or more for a career.
    3D Printing is an for Art, it is for Hobbyist and it is for the Career minded.

I started with the indention of using it for my DIY projects. Though found it useful for many others as well.

I 3D Printed this globe for my yard lights as the originals had deteriorated away.

Globe 1.jpgGlobe 2.jpg

These PLA Globes have remained outside in the the weather for 2 years, the weather has ranged from -32 in 24 inches of snow to blistering 110 + degrees Fahrenheit in direct sunlight. This project alone saved me the price of a new yard light system and the time to install the new system. Though the Metal light holders now have have a lot of weather and bird droppings, the globes still look brand new. Looks like more water and a stiff brush is needed to clean them again though this is a project for the cooler days of fall.

The point is, I saved enough money on a single project to pay for the purchase of a 3D Printer for the DIY replacement globes.

Not to change the subject but I have tripled the number of " Trick or Treaters " in the last 2 years.
    It was at the point where it felt like they would skip the house to get treats faster.

So How did I triple the number of " Trick or Treaters " I started 3D Printing 1/2 of their treats.
    Between Airplanes, 3D Benchy's, Fidgets, Bat-O-Rains, Halloween stuff ect. It brought the kids back, and the cost was less than the price of the candy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 08-25-2018 at 08:18 AM.