Yes it is a good hobby. I saved up over a few year and bought a MakerGear M2 for the same purpose. To make the project boxes and other doohickeys I can't just go buy when I am doing a DIY or electronic project. It is like a table saw but for plastic..
There are 3 parts to lean
If you want to design you own parts you need some kind of CAD software ( I chose OhShape) so there is that learning curve. You can download other peoples stuff in the mean time.
Then there is the Slicer software that turns your 3D model into what the printer will print.. This software is like a musical instrument..you have to learn how to adjust it depending on what you are printing and with what kind of plastic.
Then there is your printer itself, setting starting height , leveling, changing nozzles... etc

So it is NOT plug and play
If you are good with all that then you will have a blast.. Took me a few months to feel comfy with it all, not an expert and there is a LOT of trial and error on all 3 fronts.. so be prepared to lean patients.. nothing like your first 10 hour print failing after 8 hours. :-)