Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Ok, so I see you can buy 3D Printer Filament for about $40 or so. My question is, how far does 1 KG go? Can anyone put it into words for me? Will 1 KG Filament last only a few small prints, or will it last dozens? What are your experiences? Like for instance how many grams are used to print something like an iPhone case, or something like a plastic bottle? Just trying to get my mind wrapped around what the costs will be when my printer comes. I see a ton of negative comments from bloggers and tech sites about the costs of printing. Has me a little worried that I may be getting into a hobby I can not afford.
Unfortunately thats like asking how long is a piece of string. What you are printing, how much infill you use and how many print failure all affect how fast you go through a roll. If you are concerned about the price of plastic here is what I recommend. Buy good quality plastic, it will prevent wasted time and money on low quality and failed prints. You should also expect that it will take you about a roll or two before you really get a feel for the machine. If you are printing every day, expect to go through a roll a week. Chances are a roll will last you two to three weeks unless you find something you want to print regularly. I have found that after you get used to the machine and have made some good prints you end up printing less. This is because useful prints take some thought and consideration, otherwise you end up with a bunch of "stuff".

A quick side note, 3D printed objects can make great presents. I'm not even sure how much I have saved by using prints as gifts.