Close

NASA Working To Create 3D Printer Filament Recycling System in Space

If you didn't think that the fact that NASA was about to start 3D printing in space was impressive enough, then maybe the fact that they are working with a company called Made in Space to produce a 3D printer filament recycling system will impress you. That's right, NASA is working with the company to create a system which will allow them to turn fist sized ABS plastic objects back into 1.75mm 3D printer filament. The system would allow them to have a closed loop manufacturing facility where ever their shuttle takes them. More details on NASA's plans can be found here: http://3dprint.com/3559/nasa-made-in...ament-recycle/

NASA is also working on other interesting 3D printing projects with Made in Space as well. More details are at the article about.

Ah... In other words, NASA doesn't expect its 3D-Printer to perform very well up in space and they are worried they will have one bad print after another so they run out of filament???

And just as an observation: NASA doesn't have the support material issues we have to deal with. They should be able to extrude material out into the middle of no-where on a part because there is no gravity to pull the filament down. So, they have it easier than us.

Staff Engineer
    I don't think it's a matter of failed prints, I think it's a matter of using old parts that have been replaced as the substance for new replacement parts. A heck of a lot cheaper than sending up new filament every time they run out. Almost everything up there that isn't a specialty metal or ceramic is ABS already.

More than anything it's an affirmation that they won't be treating their 3D printer as a novelty for small experiments, but using it as a real workhorse to keep the station running smoothly. I imagine there are already a lot of broken (or nearly broken) ABS parts on the ISS just waiting to take advantage of this.