Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Higher print speed makes sense for higher strength as it makes the layer to layer bond at a higher temperature - there is less time for cooling between layers. Running the extruder hotter will also help make parts stronger for the same reason. Unfortunately there are down sides to printing fast and hot. The optimal settings are design dependant. What works best for a tensile test piece, won't necessarily work best for a frog or a cellphone case. Annealing sounds interesting but I suspect that unless your parts are flat, higher temperature annealing will make parts droop.

Quote Originally Posted by nglasson View Post
    Higher print speed makes sense for higher strength as it makes the layer to layer bond at a higher temperature - there is less time for cooling between layers. Running the extruder hotter will also help make parts stronger for the same reason.
    This is the conclusion we came to as well.

The picture linked in the article is not representative of our samples or what annealing does to the surface finish. We found that our parts did warp slightly at the higher temperature (140˚C), but perhaps some bracing while annealing would help to reduce this. I also think that people who print more decorative vs. structural parts would be less likely to need a stronger part, so annealing isn't for every print.

I hope to get our full paper linked here as soon as it is approved by our professor to do so.