Close

Threaded View

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinDS89 View Post
    Hello!

I have been using the Flashforge Dreamer for awhile now and I am looking to maybe upgrade depending on what's available.

I am looking to keep it around $1,500 if possible. Not sure this is possible with what I am looking for.

I would like some type of automated leveling system and a decent build area. I am also looking for one that can handle many different types of filament including flexible and maybe nylon. Print resolution higher than 100 microns would be a plus too.
    Most importantly I would like it to be both reliable and easy to work on when/if needed.

Any ideas or suggestions of printers currently available or coming out soon would be appreciated!

Justin
    So I own a Forgeforce Dreamer as well and its a good printer, but I know what you mean in wanting something a bit more "industrial" but nothing excessive. For me, the best part about the Dreamer is its enclosed. I also have a Original Prusa i3 MK2S, which is a fine printer, but I'm not sure I would call it an upgrade from the Dreamer. Its different, but a BIG negative is its not enclosed. I don't care what anyone says, but if you are going to print much beyond PLA you NEED an enclosed printer. For the life of me I don't know why Joseph Prusa hasn't gone that route? Also much has been made about the Prusa autoleveling, but the Dreamer with a few thumbscrews and a business card is just as good, if not better.

So back to your question. For $1500 is difficult because you seem to be in this consumer to industrial void. I like ones like the Ultimaker 2 but your up around $2500. If it was me, I would look for enclosed printers with metal frames, but these typically are $2000+ but they are getting cheaper. I preordered the new Kodak printer in November when it was offered for $1800. https://smart3d.tech/
    Normal price is $2800 but keep watching because they are offering some big discounts before its available. (Good features but rather ugly, in my opinion.) As for others, I've been impressed by the Sindoh 3DWOX from South Korea. The company is pretty well known for its normal printers in South Korea. Its around $1299 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Sindoh-3DWOX-DP200-3D-Printer/dp/B017IZBFB2

One more. Look at the Zortrax M200, it may be a bit too expensive at $2100, but its pretty well regarded. It uses a proprietary slicer but its now open to any filament. I'm looking at it if the Kodak doesn't work out.

CES is going on this week so there should be MANY new models launched. As it turned out the consumer space wasn't very successful for 3D printers, so now everyone is going after the industrial/educational market, so in the $1500 range, you might find some good printers.
    Last edited by ano; 01-08-2018 at 05:06 PM.