Everyone is talking filament material but how clean is your machine? The FDA also looks at the process by which the food or food container is made. What if your machine has occasional over-temp conditions that you didn't know about, possibly exposing a disqualifying condition of making the material "food safe". I remember seeing burned ABS on the outside of my nozzle before. Those are released toxins... and could continue wafting toxins over every layer of your pristine PETG mug getting excellent dispersion!

No, I'm not seriously suggesting this one mug will kill anyone in the sense that walking outside would probably expose me to 100x that level of toxin depending on where I live. I'm just saying that when someone calls something FoodSafe, it is a bigger picture than some people realize. Would you knowingly give your family member (whom you like, of course) a dubious gift that may in some minuscule way contribute negatively to their future health? Of course not!

Basically, food safe plastics require a solid paper trail. We're not talking one or two instances or people, we are talking when millions are affected by the oversight of a handful of workers in couple of plants. These processes are vetted and documented to the degree that the population will not be harmed in huge clusters. Or the old saying, there'd be hell to pay! At one time I believed that too. However, for the most part, the guidelines and accepted processes are followed because liability really is a bear.

You'd do better to mind printing ABS in an enclosed area than worry about your PETG mug. I know you'll clean that nozzle up nicely before printing it Post a pic!