Close

Threaded View

Well,
    I apologize to anyone in the future who finds this thread because they have the same issue. I was hoping more information might be posted.

Through further investigation, I have found that the other extruder assembly (Right Extruder) prints the exact same x3g file flawlessly.
    So at least I can rule out any problem with file itself and confirm that the issue is somewhere in the chain between the power supply and the Left extruder.

I did a quick check of the coils on the Left Extruder stepper motor by checking the resistance of it's two coils, indicated by the set of orange arrows and the set of green arrows in the photo below.

The resistance was 6.9 ohms on both. For comparison, I checked the OHMs on the stepper motor on the RIGHT Extruder and found the coils resistance to be 7.3 and 7.4 ohms respectively.
    Since the resistance on the stepper motor coils on the working extruder were slightly higher than the values from the stepper motor on the non working extruder, this preliminary test suggests that it may not be the stepper motor.

What I really need to do is run the stepper motor for over an hour to simulate the conditions during a build and monitor the temperature of the motor.

StepperMotor_2.jpg

Note that the front panel indicator for the temperature of the Left Extruder hot end showed normal and stable temps on the malfunctioning extruder during the build.....at least during the glances I made. However, it's very possible that at some point the temps dropped but I didn't see it. Too bad there's no temperature alarm. So at this point I do not suspect the thermister or heating element of the malfunctioning Left Extruder.
    Last edited by Ward; 10-19-2017 at 07:15 AM.