Well, it is going to be a few weeks to get the new x-axis limit switch cable and it was acting up more and more so I decided to repair the existing cable. I had a pretty good idea where it was damaged, where they had crushed it by over tightening some zip ties binding it to the motor cable where they make the tight loops. Sure enough after I removed the cable and tested it with my meter I found the red wire open circuit. I cut it then tested in each direction to find the break, cut it out and spliced it with some 22g wire I had laying around. So I am back in business again.

To Qidi's credit they offered to refund the cost of the part I ordered (you get parts on eBay, not Qidi site proper) but at $2.00 I am not going to worry about it. To their discredit this problem was caused by careless assembly, basically crushing the delicate wires in the limit switch cable and actually cutting the red one at least partially with the sharp corner of the zip tie. Hope they learn a little better QA going forward.

I guess now I can add 3D printer mechanic to my list of skills. ;-)