Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yep lots of colours and even textures of filaments available.

Clear/transparent is a sort of moot point.
    The filament is lovely and clear and then you print, what is basically, a really messed up prism type structure and do a of of light deflection and it becomes sort of clear-ish :-)

There is stuff you can paint on that is suposed to make it clear. But if anyone round here has done that - I've missed it.

And if you're running harddrives at 70c - switch the damn thing off !
    Or use ssd's

Never understood this obsession amateurs have with over clocking stuff.
    You buy a cpu and then spend a couple hundred bucks on silly cases and cooling systems.
    When that money would have been much better spent on a faster processor that didn't need overclocking in the first place.

I know, as a professional system builder for the past 25 years, I often look at what enthusiasts do and shudder. pc magazines and youyube have a lot to answer for lol

But anytime you've got a hardrive running at 70c, you've got serious issues, the 5mm gap between drives sounds like one of them :-)

The best thing you can do to a computer. Is take the see-thru case side with all the snazzy leds on - that is keeping the heat in the computer and remove completely.

Then just have a couple decent fans blowing across everything and blowing the heat out.

It might not be as pretty, but it won't overheat and explode either :-)
    Well, I did that to test how how the SAS Drives would get. I had 4 stacked on top of each other, with no gaps, and all 4 sat at 70C. Which told me that I'd need some serious cooling. My arrays rockin' 10x 6TB Drives sit around 24C, with a max of 28C. These are the Hellium based HGST Drives. 3x 120mm Fans right next to them, pumping in AC air, I'm rocking the NZXT H440 Cases. Which is what I plan on using for this project.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention this is going to be a JBOD Box. It'll have 48 Hard Drives, ranging from 2TB to 10TB, which is what the backplane supports. I need to build custom HDD Mounts, that won't become brittle and break after a year or two. And if that does happen, make it EASY to replace them. The case has fan slots for 3x 120mm in the front, and I believe 3x for 120mm - 140mm on the top. Side panel has none. I'll have to build a new side panel as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    I'm a backwards enthusiast, lol. Aardvark, I spent time underclocking a pc..

A fully built mini itx based quad core gaming pc with descrete graphics card with twin frozr 2 cooler, quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, ssd, and hd touchscreen. But it was limited to the strongest dc-dc pc power supply I could find (250watts). So it became a thing to make sure it wasn't drawing too much current at full load(playing borderlands on the highway)

That build thread is here: http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/...al-time-tuning
    I'm not sure where overclocking came into the picture, lol. I don't overclock my gear, and I plan on watercooling my i7-7700K because the materials used for the thermal transfer on the CPU is low-grade.

My biggest concern is grounding the case, the last thing I need is 2800W of power going *poof* in my apartment. My landlord is already wary of me and my extracurricular activities. Being a security enthusiast and a gun one, she's pretty suspicious.
    Last edited by BinaryData; 08-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.