Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    see I don't get this.

A wheel at each corner makes it unbelieveably easy to work out what each wheel or pair of wheels is doing.
    Where-as a triangle in the centre of a rectangle is almost impossible to visualise what each wheel is doing.
    The back wheel can adjust a whole plane - but the two front wheels can only tilt.
    Just can't get my head round it.

Say I need to drop the left side a little. On a 4 point system I simply adjust the two left wheels the same amount.
    On a 3 point system - where do you start ?
    None of the wheels adjusts the left side by itself. They all also change every other geometry as well.
    I genuinely hate it.

Without that levelling system, I'd have used her a lot more.
    The fact that I won her in the big 3dprintboard competition a couple or so years back, also means that I don't have any real money invested in her so never felt a strong desire to fight the 3 point levelling.

Now on a delta - it makes sense. No corners on a round build plate, so a three point system makes sense and is understandable.
    But using a triangle to leval a rectangle - it's nonsensical.

Also, are there any modifications you've done to your K-N-P printer? Does it have any kind of leveling assist? Also, it looks like it doesn't use plain g-code, but a different format you need to convert g-code into. Is that accurate, and if so is it a pain to deal with? I was looking at the Monoprice Maker Ultimate, but I could get the Klic-N-Print one and an inexpensive delta kit for that price, and the K-N-P printer is a dual extruder to boot.
    Added print area cooling fan. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537918
    That's it :-)
    Oh and smaller diameter filament holders. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:559623
    I use that with cheap 8mm carriage bolts and a vinyl tape for covering the pointy end and getting a really tight fit.

As far as converting gcode to x3g files - knp supply a convertor program to do it for you - never tried it. I've always used simplify 3d or makerware desktop with the knp - so it's never been an issue as both programs convert automatically.
    https://knp3d.com/software/#knp3dconverter

I never got dual extrusion to work on my flashforge creator - but it's one of the things I do use the knp for. You need a good dribble wall. So I generally use makerware for dual extrusion as I've yet to get simplify3d to do it effectively.
    I suspect it would also print a lot faster than the flashforge, given how rigid and heavy it is - but that damnable 3 point levelling just puts me off using her to her full potential.

But the knp and the he3d k200 kit would be a perfect couple :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-10-2017 at 06:15 AM.