Close

Threaded View

Advice on motorcycle side panel

Hi, as my first 3d design effort I am working on a side cover for my adventure motorcycle. I'm hoping to get some help moving forward. So far I used photogrammetry to get a rough 3d scan (point cloud, converted to mesh) of the area to be covered, used Sketchup to make a share that followed the attachment planes (bike frame) on the edges, but came outward in the middle where clearance was needed. Finally, I used a Microsoft online tool to "repair" my shape. It seems pretty good except that a hump for clearing a hose got filled in solid. The resulting surface is attached.

So what I'm hoping to do from here are:
    - clear out that hump
    - make the whole thing more smoothed out as viewed from the exterior (convex side). The edges shouldn't move, and the interior shouldn't move inward (more toward the concave side). But the interior can move outward to make a more pleasant view.
    - find a way to print it inexpensively to see how close I am to actually fitting. The photogrammerty process was pretty rough.
    - make any needed adjustments and then print for real in some fairly sturdy material, preferably one that won't turn too stabby if it gets cracked in a crash.

I'll take any advice - how close am I so far, what are good tools for making the kind of adjustments I'm talking about, who should print it... or can I get this all finished cheaply by someone who can do a better job...

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files