Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colorfabb Plastic filament.

Hello members of 3Dprintboard,

I will be able to enjoy some filament from Colorfabb,
    They were kind enough to grant me some Samples to give you guys on this forum a review how this plastic is superior or inferior than other plastics we use.
    This may include the woodfill variation, As i have seen some users wanting some more information about this product.

With this early topic i would like to ask you guys if you have any requests,
    Example prints etc etc, whatever you can think of.

If you ever wanna look at what they have you can always visit them at www.colorfabb.com.
    So far i only heard good stuff about there products, so i'm quiet eager to be able to see it for myself.

Best regards,
    DrLuigi

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I've seen them advertised a lot lately. I'd be interested to see how well this stuff prints. Please let us know, and show some photos of prints.
    Eddie

Only negative thing i can say so far about Colorfabb that is that they are very slow as service goes,

I aint even sure now if they will actualy give me test samples, or not, as its been 2 weeks i guess since my last email.
    ----------

Check my third post under this one.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 05-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.

After the last announcment of their bronze filament I have been to their website and I must say I have been intrigued.
    I'm waiting for their release of the bronze filament to place an order.

In the meantime, if you do receive samples, I'd be interested to know if the parameters they announce on the product sheets are reliable for the PLA/PHA and XT. I'd also be interested to see how the PLA/PHA mix is compared to standard PLA in terms of mechanical resistance / brittleness.

Well i could look how brittle it is, But i doubt i will be able to take a picture of it since well once it snaps, its not like i have a LCD screen with the angle on it when it snapped :P

I could use a machine at school how much strength that was needed to tear it apart, and how much it stretched, but i doubt i will be able to acces it due its kinda busy atm.

Also i wanna say that Colorfabb was at a scholarship, and thats why they were not able to answer me after 2 weeks.

Hello,

I want to start the review as something weekly,

So far ive finaly got my package,
    I must say that they have been quiet generous with my package,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e9d3yb165...2014.42.11.jpg

Its a total of 1.3kg of filament, Quiet some colors of there PLA pha line, woodfill and XT.
    I didnt want to take it out as i was worried it would tangle and get knobs etc.

If anyone has questions please ask me, I wont be abe to get all this plastic printed without your help!

If you have a printer using 1.75mm filament, PM me if you want some Woodfill or/and XT filament from colorfabb!
    They have send me some extra, but as i can't use it i will give it here on our forums,
    You will need to pay all the shipping though!
    I live personaly in Belgium, so i guess you should be from Europe if intrested.

Also i must say that there filament is right on spot as far as the size goes, I measured a few of 1.75 and 2.85 and they are simple spot on, Wich i never seen with my usual Chinese spools wich vary from size after perhaps 50m.

Edit:
    I am atm printing a simple cube with the woodfill to see how it prints, after this i will do a classic owl model wich i would simple love in wood,
    I must say it does smell like wood, Not that much but you do smell it.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 05-30-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Ive made a simple cube with the XT plastic,
    Ive to say it looks great, Also very smooth, Its no where near the quality as your chinese spool,
    Also due the filament being perfect on 2.85 i could just put that in slic3r without goofing around if its to much or to less, Its simple spot on.

Its also quiet transparant, i guess this would be great for one of those vase STLs,
    I might make one of those later on for you guys to show off how transparant it is when only using 1 wall,
    I thought to do that today but i dont have much time left to print ;(.

It seems wood is a bit more tricky tho to get it running decently,
    It also seems like it is less strong but its still very nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i7icseio5...2020.50.12.jpg
    The mess is simple because it had a brim, as i didnt know it would warp alot,
    So far with the brim it didnt move a bit.
    But i am suprised how smooth the sides are, As its 0.2 layerheight and i almost never had that with my normal prints,

Reminder, Not only your Printer has to be reliable, but also your filament so buy one that can be trusted (Example i used to have weird corners when printing a cube, well with Colorfabb its completely gone)
    I did go cheap at the beginning but i think i might now always go with Colorfabb, I am suprised in the good way.

I might make over a month or so a new post with every plastic and how it did,
    Or i just keep this forum always updated with some logs how my print went.

Edit:
    PLA/PHA https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqwo74h09n...2022.18.51.jpg
    Again quiet nice as quality goes, except i kinda like the XT series more as quality goes, But the color seems to be lighter than when i had some Chinese one.
    Without even using my Caliper i could just let it print at 2.85, after it was printing i checked it for being sure and yet again perfect on it.

Edit:
    Another picture of the XT series,

This one is a vase, as i wanted to show how transparant it is.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yluum2xr2z...531_180833.jpg

Personaly i thought it would be a bit better as transparant goes when only having one wall.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 05-31-2014 at 11:15 AM.

So far ive finaly got my package,
    I must say that they have been quiet generous with my package,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e9d3yb165...2014.42.11.jpg

Its a total of 1.3kg of filament, Quiet some colors of there PLA pha line, woodfill and XT.
    I didnt want to take it out as i was worried it would tangle and get knobs etc.
    Wow, that sounds great. What was the price for this?

Engineer
    xt is a pet plastic. the thinner the layers and the smaller your nozzle the more cloudy it will look. i print alot of the madesolid pet+ which is similar and even though its clear you can never get an actual clear part from it.

XT is a Pet plastic indeed, But its PETG if i remember correctly,

Winnylo: I got this from Colorfabb to be able to tell how it prints, To tell you the positive things and less good things about them,

So far i love the XT and PLA/PHA,
    But Woodfill well it looks great imo, But it doesnt print that well, I think it might be my hotend that has some resistance that doesnt let the filament glide that easily,
    I might try a higher temp but i kinda already thought i had a quiet high temp already for it..
    It prints well for some time, and then it always seems to clogg for some reason. Will try some lower speed and slightly more/less heat to get this problem away.

If someone wants some XT and Woodfill 1.75mm, i can give you some, they gave me it but as i can't do anything with it i would like to give it to someone of you guys,
    You will have to pay the shipping though, so it will only realy be intresting if your near Belgium/Europe.

I probably gonna stay buying from Colorfabb, they have a huge range of colors and there plastic quality is simple great ^^
    Probably there PLA and XT though, Atleast if i can't get rid of the Woodfill problem i've got, pretty sure you wont have this with a full metal hotend as they have lower resistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast