Close

Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    What caused it to go from 2.1mm difference to being this ~3.9mm? My arm and switch didn't move.

btw, if it is using 0.30 and is 1.8mm too high then shouldn't 0.30 be a negative number instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    What caused it to go from 2.1mm difference to being this ~3.9mm? My arm and switch didn't move.

btw, if it is using 0.30 and is 1.8mm too high then shouldn't 0.30 be a negative number instead?
    I don't know the answer to the first part... But the zprobe_zoffset number is stored as a positive number even though it is negative. I think it would make more sense to store it as it really is, but it isn't done that way.

Anyway... Using the M502 and M500 after each Configuration.h file change, you should be able to get to the right offset pretty quickly. Let us know how it is working when you get it set right!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I don't know the answer to the first part... But the zprobe_zoffset number is stored as a positive number even though it is negative. I think it would make more sense to store it as it really is, but it isn't done that way.

Anyway... Using the M502 and M500 after each Configuration.h file change, you should be able to get to the right offset pretty quickly. Let us know how it is working when you get it set right!
    I just realized something and that is, DUH, that it thinks 0.3 is the magic number so the nozzle is 0.3 above the bed BUT I had to do 18 .1mm down so add up 1.8 + 0.3

#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -2.1

1.8+.3 = 2.1

my 2.1 is spot on I just need to get it into the eeprom for this to work I think.

edit: it worked but there is a slight issue in the middle where it isn't laying down enough filament where as the rest are fine. Maybe I will try -2.15 or even -2.20

The magic number is 1.97-1.98 so I am leaving it at 1.98.

Thank you for all of your help as this was pretty deep and I needed the help.
    Last edited by DarkAlchemist; 09-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.

I just realized something and that is
    , DUH, that it thinks 0.3 is the magic number so the nozzle is 0.3 above the bed BUT I had to do 18 .1mm down so add up 1.8 + 0.3

#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -2.1

1.8+.3 = 2.1

This stuff is complicated until everything makes sense. Then all of a sudden, everything gets simpler.

my 2.1 is spot on I just need to get it into the eeprom for this to work I think.
    Or, alternatively... Turn off the EEPROM so it doesn't get values from there.

edit: it worked but there is a slight issue in the middle where it isn't laying down enough filament where as the rest are fine. Maybe I will try -2.15 or even -2.20

The magic number is 1.97-1.98 so I am leaving it at 1.98.

Thank you for all of your help as this was pretty deep and I needed the help.
    You are most welcome! I've had the same experience where it looks like the number should be .15mm or even .25mm higher than where I end up. You almost have to watch it lay down the first layer and see how everything fuses together and go off of that.

How would I turn off the eeprom as I couldn't see how to do that.

Engineer
    In the configuration.h file, find these lines:

#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
    #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

and comment each one out with // in front.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    In the configuration.h file, find these lines:

#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
    #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

and comment each one out with // in front.
    hehehe, I was looking for a gcode command not in the configuration file.

Thank you (if I remember right, though it has been 6 months, those come commented out with the source and I turned them on).

Should I put the probing information into eeprom and just recall them or do a probing each time I print?

I use the settings in my Configuration.h file. If I change something, I update it, recompile and load that firmware into my printer. But some people want to be able to load the firmware once and then save new settings in the EEPROM. Its up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I use the settings in my Configuration.h file. If I change something, I update it, recompile and load that firmware into my printer. But some people want to be able to load the firmware once and then save new settings in the EEPROM. Its up to you.
    Well, my question was which is better to do the scanning each, and every, time or to store those in eeprom as people are doing?

Well, my question was which is better to do the scanning each, and every, time or to store those in eeprom as people are doing?
    Scanning? I don't know what you mean. But the EEPROM capability is nice for people that are constantly tweaking settings. The problem is it can bite you in the a$$ if you never use them and suddenly your printer is taking its numbers from the EEPROM. That has happened a whole bunch on the Auto Bed Leveling.

Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast