Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    Are you guys using the new maker branch or the original from Roxy?
    Same, followed instructions on page one. I did try the marlin version that incorporates Roxy's code just to see if it would fix the freezing (and SD init fail thing) but it all went terribly wrong n i went back to original marlin with the code from the first page. And when i try to print from SD (i found another work-around for the SD fail issue) i also get the same freezing once in a while, except the LCD starts blinking, probe moves in time with the blinks, if that makes any sense and then the whole thing resets and i have to do the trick to get the SD working all over again, which involves powering off, plugging the usb back in, checking on the LCD that it reads the card, turning the power on and quickly unplugging the usb as sometimes it resets shortly after powering on with the usb plugged in, which in turn resets the SD card, somehow... And i have to repeat the whole ritual. Forgive me if i sound as if like the only thing i haven't tried is giving it a sacrifice to please it, but the coding/programming thing is very new to me and I'm still just getting to know with the printer itself

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    ... i also get the same freezing once in a while, except the LCD starts blinking, probe moves in time with the blinks, if that makes any sense and then the whole thing resets and i have to do the trick to get the SD working all over again, which involves powering off, plugging the usb back in, checking on the LCD that it reads the card, turning the power on and quickly unplugging the usb as sometimes it resets shortly after powering on with the usb plugged in, which in turn resets the SD card, somehow...
    Sure sounds like the 5V from the MEGA2560 board could be dropping out. Do you have another USB cable/computer to try or a powered USB hub to feed the USB through? Maybe the USB port on the computer you're using can't handle the additional load of the servo running; if it drops out the 5V regulator on the MEGA2560 board certainly can't handle the added servo load for long.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Sure sounds like the 5V from the MEGA2560 board could be dropping out. Do you have another USB cable/computer to try or a powered USB hub to feed the USB through? Maybe the USB port on the computer you're using can't handle the additional load of the servo running; if it drops out the 5V regulator on the MEGA2560 board certainly can't handle the added servo load for long.
    I do have a 5v USB charger, will give it a shot but not sure how it would work with my SD initialisation ritual as it only seems to work on only one of the 2 usb ports on my laptop. And in general thats the only usb that i can connect to the printer with, which is extra awkward... Thank you both for the suggestions, will give them a go right after i finish printing this duck call

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post

I think I had a similar problem when I first put a servo on mine. hooked up a 7805 to the 5v rail instead of using the onboard regulator and its been good ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket1597 View Post
    I think I had a similar problem when I first put a servo on mine. hooked up a 7805 to the 5v rail instead of using the onboard regulator and its been good ever since.
    I believe all of the 78xx regulators are supposed to be powered by something more than what they put out. Probably, a 7805 should be powered with 7v or 8v ????

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I believe all of the 78xx regulators are supposed to be powered by something more than what they put out. Probably, a 7805 should be powered with 7v or 8v ????
    Yes, I have mine off the 12v supply. Something like this:
    http://regpye.com.au/BAL/5-volts.jpg