Unlike CA I am a fan of quality ABS. It has certain properties that make it suited for certain parts just like all thing.. You would not want to use Steel to build a table (you can if you want) but Wood would be more practical.
Same goes for filament. There are charts that show the properties of the different filaments like this one from eSun http://makemike.com/media/recursos/e...ent-201411.pdf
I like abs when I need a part that need to be ridged or needs to have threads taped into it, or needs to be smoothed/sanded. I have a DIY heated enclosure so I have little issue using ABS.

If I need a part that will be outside in the heat and sun of the Mid-Atlantic region of the US I would try and use PETG as it has similar impact and strength properties of ABS and will not deteriorate in the Sun over time. However it flexing is an issue it may not be as good as ABS in that area.
If you use the material that most closely matches the requirement the use case of the fabricated part the better your results will be.