Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by regpye View Post
    Answer to question 1. Servo was used on previous model, and was not changed. (oversight) Works OK with it still activated, just no servo on the machine.
    Answer to question 2. Have been using the old version for quiet a while with no real issues. Should move over to a later version I suppose.

The setup I have now is working and has done a test print OK. There are some things that need tidying up though. I guess it would be best to use the later version and overcome any other problems along the way.
    OK... Can you switch to the new code base and verify things still work for you? The Auto_Bed_Leveling in the current code base is better. And it will be much easier to support you and get everything right because that is what most people are using. If there is a real reason to get this going on the old code base, that can be done but at least for me, I would prefer to deal with the current code.

If you can get it limping along and sort of working with the new code base we can get this polished pretty quickly. What I'm thinking is if it works at all, you post the configuration.h and marlin_main.cpp along with a description of what is wrong and we can make some changes to the code and re-post it. You compile and load the new firmware and report back if things are better or worse... I'm thinking with 4 or 5 iterations, it will be going.

What about the .STL file? Can you post that? It would be interesting to see what we are trying to get going!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    OK... Can you switch to the new code base and verify things still work for you? The Auto_Bed_Leveling in the current code base is better. And it will be much easier to support you and get everything right because that is what most people are using. If there is a real reason to get this going on the old code base, that can be done but at least for me, I would prefer to deal with the current code.

If you can get it limping along and sort of working with the new code base we can get this polished pretty quickly. What I'm thinking is if it works at all, you post the configuration.h and marlin_main.cpp along with a description of what is wrong and we can make some changes to the code and re-post it. You compile and load the new firmware and report back if things are better or worse... I'm thinking with 4 or 5 iterations, it will be going.

What about the .STL file? Can you post that? It would be interesting to see what we are trying to get going!
    OK, I will take your advise and use the latest code. Where is the best place to obtain it?

I will share the STL files, however I am still working on the design to see what works the best. I have just printed a new design that I haven't tried out yet and will probably have that all tested within the next few days. With the current hardware design it does work, however I have noticed that there is some deflection caused by the extended arm of the X axis (becomes a long lever) and that causes a small amount of flex while probing. To overcome this I have re-designed to give much less pressure while probing.
    When I have tested and found the improvement I will post the STL files. Photos are a way of seeing how it works and I have posted several in another few replies already in this thread.

The test machine is a highly modified SmartRap. The SmartRap uses fishing line for the drives of both X and Y. I changed that to use GT2 belts. Also the SmartRap uses a servo and RAMPS for the auto bed leveling. I have changed that to use Printrboard (because I have a lot of them left over) and no servo.

first1.jpg
    This machine is using RAMPS, servo and the old Marlin code.

Picture-046.jpg
    This machine is using Printrboard, no servo, old version of Marlin.
    This is the very first test print with settings as in the uploaded firmware files. (old Marlin)
    Both machines are using my design of extruder that is geared while the original machine design uses direct drive extruder.
    All these machines use a Bowden delivery system for the filament feed.

Picture-019.jpg
    Photo of the hinge parts that carry the hotend.
    There are two micro switches. One is for the X limit and the other is for the Z limit and probing
    The yellow zip tie is for tying the loom to keep the wiring tidy.

Picture-014.jpg
    X limit switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, I will take your advise and use the latest code. Where is the best place to obtain it?
    If you goto https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin you can download a .ZIP file of everything. The button to do that will be a little ways down on the far right side of the page. It is what I'm running right now. That will make it easy to support you.

I will share the STL files, however I am still working on the design to see what works the best. I have just printed a new design that I haven't tried out yet and will probably have that all tested within the next few days. With the current hardware design it does work, however I have noticed that there is some deflection caused by the extended arm of the X axis (becomes a long lever) and that causes a small amount of flex while probing. To overcome this I have re-designed to give much less pressure while probing.
    I would love to print one of these up and try it! But I guess we should get your firmware going first!

Technician
    The new part that has to be tested.
    This photo does not show the hotend in place, however the fan has been attached and from previous photos it shouldn't be too hard to work out where the nozzle will be.
    The probing micro switch is easier to see in this photo, and the leverage has been increased a lot to minimize the pressure required to activate the switch.
    I will try and get it setup today and ready to make some tests using it.

probing-switch.jpg

Was this designed with Open_SCAD by any chance???

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Was this designed with Open_SCAD by any chance???
    No, it was designed with Alibre Design, now called GeoMagic