Close

Threaded View

Hi all!
    I would like to join the conversation because I have a similar issue.
    I'm new to this forum and I still don't have a 3d printer, before buying it I'm collecting all the information that I can.

I will explain my problem with an example:
    Supposing that I want to print a 30x4x0.3 cm plate, the mainstream printers on the market have a usual printing size of 20x20x25 cm or something like that.
    Now, are there some printing techniques to print this plate into two pieces to be joined, so that the final resistance will be similar to a one-piece print?
    I can't use bolts since it must be flat on the bottom side

My mind comes to the "fingers" of a dovetail glued wood joint. So I'm asking if there is some usual way to handle these problems.
    What types of joints can be used in this case? Since the thickness is very small and brittle failures could occur.
    The plate is subject to bending so in the central part there could be some very high stresses.

This is because now I have to print a custom case larger than 25 cm, so I'm wondering if I can print it with a smaller printer or I must buy a larger one; this is also a question valid for future similar cases.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Bjack795; 10-24-2018 at 07:43 AM.