Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugx View Post
    Geoff, That's a real nice job. What type of filament were you printing with? Do you think the paint used on model cars would bond nicely to the surface of the 3D prints ?
    thanks, I just use plain old ABS, any colour. I spray all of them a matte undercoat (very lightly) which helps the acrylic paint stick better and gives you a better surface to work with than the shiny plastic.

Model cars will work fine, my only issue with cars has been printing them! in parts easy, but to print a whole car in one print, man it's hard to paint inside the wheel arches and stuff, but if you print the parts out seperate YES you can do an awesome car, I'm still looking for the perfect model to print and paint.

Here is another example of one I did yesterday. Ideally I am trying not to Sand any of the prints at all (not for lack of liking sanding) but it's more about speed of production. I print most of my stuff now with 2 shells and 0%infill to both save plastic and time.

The figure below took 2 hours to print (its 10cm high) and painting about an hour. (the model by andreas can be found here) Alot of people dont really paint their prints which is fair enough, but it's one of those things I always wanted to do, I love plastic model kits and painting them (and have for about 30 yrs now...yeah im a big kid at heart) so I always visioned printing my own model snap kits and painting them, sadly the printing resolution isnt quite there for these printers (in that small scale) but they are close.

gulpy2.jpg

Strewth! Dorothea the Dinosaur has gone to seed since the Wiggles broke up!

OME

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12