Close

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol just do a general search for 'curious aardvark' I get around :-)

I'm also the only brit on the worlds most popular bbq/food smoking forum.
    www.smoked-meat.com

One of the very first things I made when i got a 3d printer, were stuffing tubes for my sausage stuffer :-)

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol just do a general search for 'curious aardvark' I get around :-)

I'm also the only brit on the worlds most popular bbq/food smoking forum.
    www.smoked-meat.com

One of the very first things I made when i got a 3d printer, were stuffing tubes for my sausage stuffer :-)
    Yeah, kind of noticed your footprints around the web. ;-)
    My sons are into smoking meat. Just had a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. It was great. The oldest made a ( well 2) smoker out of a 55Gal drum and other parts. They both work great.

drum smokers are actually really good and most garages will give you empty drums for free.
    The most basic is just a couple hanging rods at the top, slightly raised charcoal basket at the bottom and a couple air inlets.
    Even seen them turn out decent ribs, which is weird as the ribs are hanging down and you'd think there would be significant temperature differences.

It's on my list, lol

So after diagnosing a poorly keyboard on laptop, took it apart to discover there is no way to remove the old keyboard short of destroying the top plate. The bastards have caged the keyboard beneath a metal sheet that is plastic riveted to the top plate, no screws at all !
    The keyboard keys poke through holes in the top plate.
    Why????????????????????????

Had a quick go at the corner piece to end the day on a positive note. Added long channels so that the side pieces can actually be bolted in on the long axis. Between that, the side rails and the two side locking bolts, should be plenty rigid. Once you add the aluminium base and top plates, I'm wondering if I'll still need the extra supports I was going to add about 2/3 of the way up the frame.

Technologist
    Drum smoker - they have a rack for charcoal mid way or so, and a rack for meat up top. Used a round grill cover for the top. Adjustable air vents at the bottom. Looks and works great.

I would continue to add supports. Even though your using 40x40(?) aluminum, extra bracing cannot hurt anything except your wallet.

Oh, and I ordered Print Bite. 200 mm. Cant wait for it. Probably a week. Also going to change the firmware to the 1.0 Dev level for the bed distortion correction, although I doubt I will need it with the PrintBite.

yeah uds - ugly drum smoker. Good cookers.

Supports won't cost anything, aluminium :-)
    I'm using 30x30
    Just to be awkward :-)

So on the 1.0 does it actually do an auto calbration ? Or is it the same nonsense with the numbers thing, that doesn't actually work ?

Didn't you buy the auto calibration software ? or was that someone else ?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yeah uds - ugly drum smoker. Good cookers.

So on the 1.0 does it actually do an auto calbration ? Or is it the same nonsense with the numbers thing, that doesn't actually work ?

Didn't you buy the auto calibration software ? or was that someone else ?
    No, I did not buy any auto calibration SW.

So on the Dev 1.0 level, there are multiple fixes to the distortion correction function. The way I understand it to work (once enabled ) is you use the bed height map tool ( in repetier-host tools) and that maps the distortion on the bed. Once completed, you save it in the EEPROM with a G command ( which is not currently our firmware. Then the firmware will automatically correct for the delta z for about the first 1 mm of layer height. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9URtv2LqKc

Here is the configuration utility words on it.
    Capture.jpg

riiiiiight.
    Still not exactly a one button: calibrate.

You see how thick that guys build plate was !

Technologist
    So, any update on BB?

Oh, Still no Printbite. Ordered on 11/27. Took 2 week to 'process' Still did not arrive here. Cant seem to get the tracking # from Flex3d. They are not the best at communicating.

lol no he can take a while to answer his emails.

Been cutting threads in the uprights, yeah. when bits of aluminium get caught in the threads of the cutter it buggers up the thread. So I've got one end with a great thread and one with about 3mm that'll need a longer bolt. Need to rethink the process.

Also been doing stuff on the sling target. Switched from petg to cheapo flex pla for the brackets, then ended up modding the flashforge for flexible filament. Which worked brilliantly !

So next job is finishing the carriages and corner pieces.
    I dislike this time of year. All the lights get taken down and it's still short, dark, wet, miserable days. Kind of lack motivation lol

So back to Alexa for a post.
    here's the thing.
    I had a failed print !
    Yeah i was shocked.

So figured probably time to level the printbed - haven't done it for 4 or 5 months.
    Yep that needed doing, one at the back was way off. Now have all three bang on identical !
    So that's that done for a few months :-)

And then I have a brain fart. Instead of zeroing z like I've always done in the past: Cold bed, thin paper.
    I decided to do it like I do on the flashforge, with a hot bed. Also I didn't have paper to hand - I'd have had to get up, walk a couple of yards and remove a sheet from a printer and walk all the way back. So I used a sheet of thin card instead, 'cos I could reach that :-)

Aaaaaaannnd the next three prints all failed about 40% in. Are we surprised ? Yeah well we shouldn't be lol

So just re-zeroed with cold bed and thin paper. Same print now steaming along, way past where it came unstuck before.

Moral of this story: Don't change stuff that works :-)

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast