Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    these are m4s and you just insert in the channel and tighten and they turn and lock. Great things.
    Took me a while to figure out that's how they worked though :-)

The calibration kit is just a wire with a pressure sensor one end and a plug the other end.

This is the tutorial video.

Have to admit I wasn't expecting all the calculations that goes with it. Oh and he's stuck it on with a bit of tape. Presumably it doesn't fit very snugly over the nozzle.
    Hmm there was a longer video where he does the bed touching thing and then gets a calculator out and gets all complicated. I'd have thought the software would automatically do that kind of thing for you.

Wondering if simplify3d or indeed slic3r or cura - as this is a pure gcode printer - can use this to auto calibrate without all the attendant maths. That would be the ideal situation.
    I'll have to ask on the s3d forum.
    I would have thought it would all be handled in the firmware. Can i use different firmwares with this ?
    I have absolutely no clue - yet, lol

The other thing is that the heat plate is mounted on adjustable long bolts with springs to hold it well above the motherboard - presumably so it doesn't fry the board.
    So that's not going to be as level as the non-adjustable glass plate - or it might be more level lol.
    I think initially I'll just build it with the glass plate and leave the hotplate off till I've got my head round how it all works and calibrates (ah maybe I can't might not have the bits.) Cross that bridge when I get there.
    I have to get it out of the dining room by tuesday - so the simpler I keep the initial stages the better :-)

Oh and thanks for telling me what to look for: aluminum channel nuts.
    I often find that buying anything online is 90% knowing what the people selling it actually call it.
    :-)
    (looks on ebay) bloody hell those things are pricey !
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-d...M3eFMZ-2CXVxFQ
    Around 40p each. I did wonder why there weren't any spares in the kit. At the margins these guys must be working on, I wouldn't have added spares either.

edit: found cheaper ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-50Pcs-S...3D172600311187

That's not too bad. nearer 12 pence each. I can live with that. 50 nuts will attach an awful lot of crap to the frame :-)

I do have an aluminium engineering firm I do work for. Might drop round and see if they ever use them or the struts and then 'borrow' some nuts and see how much the struts cost for the future 'how tall can I maker it with longer struts and belts' experiment :-)
    In all honesty I'm not expecting to pay for the struts, I like to keep the favour balance well in my favour with firms. If they have to order in, then at worst I'll pay cost with the firms discount.

New carriage currently printing at 0.2 layer height. Be interesting to compare the two.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.