Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Right 2 sessions later and I've finished the actual physical build. Does it work ? I have absolutely no clue. Haven't connected mains power yet - reasons for which will be plain later :-)

So wiring stuff up. The board fits in quite nicely and has a couple of little legs that support one end while the other end is bolted onto the frame.

Have a think about how and where the wires run before you plug anything in. The plastic wire wraps press into the strut conduits good and tight.

You also need to consider the wires coming out of the extruder. I added a couple of cable ties to lift them to the horizontal so that they can't interfere with printing.

Will the cable ties melt when it's heated up. I don't know. If they do, then I'll replace with wire - just didn't have any in the room when I was doing this. We'll see.

Now one thing I feel this kit is desperate for are feet and a baseboard. This is what the underside looks like when you've tidied the wires by stuffing them under the board.

So that's going to be one of my first mods. I'll print some polyflex feet and then bolt a base on, probably just cardboard with some metal skewer reinforcements.
    I have a number of spares including 7 of the locking frame bolts and nuts. The feet I'll probably just push into the struts.
    I did feel the wires could have been shorter, as some are ridiculously long - but then again, if they were too short, I'd probably have complained about that too and they are most likely standard cables that work with a variety of different kits :-)

Now as I bought the heated build plate, I have an actual power supply, rather than a simple power adaptor. I like to keep things neat (those who have seen my workshop, will now be rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably). So I wanted to attach the psu to the frame to keep the printer a single piece and also protect the connector on the psu.
    Used one of the strut bolts in a convenient hole to attach a bottom corner and then used a cable tie to attach to a strut.
    It's surprisingly solid and doesn't budge when you pick the printer up.

I've got the extruder mounted quite high for a couple of reasons.
    1) it gives a straighter path for the filament. Never used a bowden before so tried to make it as easy to push the filament through as I can.
    2) I can attach a filament holder to the frame below the extruder, fairly easily and needed the space for a full size reel.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-22-2017 at 05:51 AM.