Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Currently starting part 2 of 4.
    First quarter looks pretty great.

One thing to remember when printing fast - remember to slow the first layer down proportionally !
    Had few false starts with number 2. Dropped first layer from 10% to 5 (so 7.5mm/s) and it's looking perfect this time :-)
    And as we all know: getting the first layer right is 90% of getting the whole print right.

How cool is that :-)
    Going to print a couple small ones to try out colour schemes on.
    I can knock a 1/4 size one out in 40 minutes.

Still trying to decide on a colour scheme. I've got some white filler that i can use to give the horns the right colour and texture of actual horn/bone. Was thinking about spraying the bands and 'bolts' silver and leaving the rest the brown of the filament. Would look more like a reinforced leather helmet that way.

Tested for size and should be plenty big enough for some interior padding - got masses of leather in my workshop,
    Given the huge overhang, almost 90 degrees at the top - the fan is doing a good job even at speed.
    Because I'm using the 16mm wide nozzle, it basically covers the whole print area.
    Might make one with two 'horns'.
    With the clip setup messing around with nozzle designs is a doddle :-)

Sizewise, hadn't thought about making the heat bed larger. I can get aluminium discs for free gratis and nothing - cut to any size I like :-)

And using the existing vertical struts for side pieces is a great idea.

Main issue with that would be getting the carriage arms the right length.

I think, if i bother, I'll get another k200 kit to play with.
    Now I've got alexa dialled in - particularly with the flexibles - I'm reluctant to stick a longer bowden tube on that might bugger that up.

Need to make some money first anyway :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-12-2017 at 02:53 PM.